Thursday, January 7, 2010

29 days and counting...

For those of you who don't know, I'm leaving for the Peace Corps in Paraguay on Feb. 9. I'll actually be heading down to Miami on the 5th to spend some time with my grandparents down there and then on the 8th I report for staging, which is my pre-departure orientation. Maybe I'll backtrack a bit more...

Summer after I graduated from High School I decided I wanted to join the Peace Corps. I went to BU, yet the entire time there, I was thinking about what my next move would be once I graduated and I always gravitated toward the idea of applying to join the Peace Corps. Finally during my junior year, I began the application process. I set it aside for some time and finally finished the application in Dec 2008. I interviewed on Feb. 13 and received my nomination that day. My original nomination was for North Africa/Middle East working as a health volunteer. On Dec. 16 I got my formal invitation to join. I'll be working as a health volunteer. I'm really excited about my project. I'll be educating the people in my village on dental health, nutrition, proper food handling and preparation, parasite prevention, reproductive health, STD's, STI's, HIV/AIDS, proper waste disposal methods, hygiene, and how to clean and protect water sources.

So until I leave, I'll be tying up loose ends, getting everything in order for my 27 months abroad, and saying goodbye to family and friends. I'm really looking forward to beginning this next step of my life. May the adventure begin!

Love,
Carden xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment