Saturday, February 25, 2012

A year and a half later...

Hi everyone!

Clearly, blogging is not really my thing, as it has been over a year and a half since I last blogged. Whoops! Important updates:

- returned to CT for Christmas and New Year with family and friends.
- traveled to Manaus, Brazil last May with 7 friends and spent 11 days in the Amazon. Incredible experience and absolutely beautiful.
- high school friend Katie Fullman visited in August. She was a trooper, despite the constant rain and cold spell.
- successful 6-week dental health unit at local school.
- helped organize HIV/AIDS workshop in March 2011.
- spent 5 wonderful days in Buenos Aires with Andy and his friends from the States.
- cooking classes with women in my community. Some have even tried the recipes on their own!
- teaching a 10 year old girl how to read and count.
- literacy workshop with the teachers at my elementary school.
- attended 2 weddings of Peace Corps friends!
- organized menu and cooking team to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for 70+ people.
- lots of summer camps with friends.
- Christmas 2011 in Peru with my family. Did the Inka Trek to Macchu Picchu. Waking up on Christmas Eve and watching the sun rise over Macchu Picchu was stunning and is forever etched into my memory.
- working on library for my community.
- attended close-of-service conference.

The library project is my biggest project at the moment, and due to the fact that I'm not getting a follow-up volunteer (since I'm the third one in my community), I'm racing against the clock to finish it. I've already acquired approximately 30 books to donate to the library and am submitting requests to embassies and NGOs here in Paraguay for book donations. That being said, please read the below letter and pass on to anyone who may be interested. I am also contacting a few libraries in the US to ask for assistance or book donations.

Dear family and friends,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to read my letter. As many of you may know, I am currently serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay. My site, Tuyango, is located in the department of San Pedro, one of the poorest regions in Paraguay. The community is medium sized with approximately 160 houses and 800 people. There is a health post with a nurse, an elementary school (K-9th grade) and a high school in the community. Tuyango is situated between two cities, the closest being about 20 kilometers away.

Having spent much of my service working in the elementary school, I have seen how many kids lack creativity and intellectual stimulation. Reading is not a common pass-time since books tend to be expensive. In talking with the director of the school, we have decided that a library project would benefit the community greatly. I have already purchased some books and will donate my bookshelf to the library. There is a classroom available that will serve as the library. The library will be for all community members, and people will be allowed to check out books. It is my hope that people will find a love of reading, boost curiosity, and inspire them to actively make a difference in their lives and Paraguay. Additionally, I plan to teach the teachers how to use the library to supplement their classes.

I’m requesting donations of books in Spanish, or monetary donations through Western Union. I have a short two and a half months left and would like to have the library inaugurated prior to my departure. I have already purchased the entire Harry Potter series, Anne Frank, The Odyssey, 1984, Matilda, and some children’s books. I would love a book on friendship bracelet making, origami creations, arts and crafts from nature, and any other children’s or adult books. I know the price of shipping can be high, but I believe that there is a special book rate, as well as the flat rate boxes, which you can stuff to capacity for a fixed price (I think).

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for considering this. I hope that together we can provide books to help make Tuyango a better place.

Best,


Carden Ryder
Peace Corps Volunteer
Rural Health and Sanitation Sector
Tuyango, San Pedro, Paraguay


Thank you everyone, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all when I return in June!

xoxo Carden

No comments:

Post a Comment